Wednesday 4 November 2009

Ain't no sunshine now he's gone...

One of the new blights on UK high streets is a shop called The Works, a bizarre abomination apparently aimed at people who want to buy a big picture book of World War II fighter planes and a massive pack of felt pens in the same place. 

They hoover up publishers' leftovers and stack them up for a few quid a go. In there the other day, I saw Michael Vaughan's 'Year In The Sun' for 50p.

The blurb on the back contained the superlative line: 'There's never a dull moment when the 2002 Cricketer Of The Year is on the field'. 

Laugh? I almost bought it... 

4 comments:

Brian Carpenter said...

I can understand the dilemma - 50p sounds a decent price, but you wouldn't quite buy it for that. Maybe if they knock it down to
25.

The Old Batsman said...

Yes, not sure what the price threshold is for A Year In The Sun. Maybe 20p just as it requires a single coin? 25's too fiddly...

Patricia said...

I get the feeling that Michael Vaughan isn't your favourite person?

Last summer I bought a few second hand books from a sale at the Oval - and I even got to go into the pavilion! to buy them. The ones I thought would be really good were pretty awful - eg Viv Richards, far too pleased with himself and rather boring. I really couldn't tell from the covers and the blurb what they would be like.

The Old Batsman said...

Patricia, I know it seems that way - I've almost been feeling bad about it. But he's got that unfortunate capacity for false humility, which is what made me laugh about the line in his blurb.

I agree about King Viv's autobiography too - a tremendous disappointment.